Tuesday, July 26, 2022

3 Wishes for 2022

As I think about 2022, there are many wishes I have. Obviously, the most important ones are that we all stay healthy, appreciate what we have, and treasure our friends. There are three wishes I have for our nation;

    Focus on what you want

    Seek win-win alternatives

    Remember and create tomorrow

 I am dismayed by how much we focus on what is wrong and what we don't want. I wish we would direct our time and energy on what we want. Quite often, I find that if I am unsuccessful at something,  it indicates that I am focused on the wrong thing.

My endeavors to change SSI/SSDI is an example of this. For many years many disability-rights advocates and I fought to change these systems so that people with disabilities can be employed without losing the services they need to survive. We were unsuccessful. Recently, I realized that we were advocating for the wrong thing. Social Security is supposed to be a safety net for people who cannot work. While there are people with disabilities who cannot work, most of us can work if we have the right products and services, such as wheelchair and personal assistant services. These long-term medical expenses are not safety net costs. They should be part of Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) that are affordable to anyone that needs them.

Understanding the 'real problem' often leads to better answers.

My second wish is that we strive to find win-win alternatives. I am horrified by the partisanship that has paralyzed our country for decades. The segregation based on party affiliation seems to worsen each year regardless of which party has the majority status. While we discuss the need for compromise, we often think that compromises represent a lose-lose situation. We must change the paradigm and find ways both sides can achieve their goals.

The first step required to achieve one's goals is to understand what the goals really are. Here again, I often find that we don't understand our own needs and wants, let alone those of the people 'on the other side.' How often do we take the time to listen to the other side's needs and wants? Do we know why these desires are so important? How often do we enjoy – yes, enjoy – brainstorming ways all expectations can be met? Can we exchange creativity and innovation instead of immobility to move forward? Instead of frightening people about climate change or COVID, can we excite people about the new ways we are discovering to transform 'bad gases' into 'good gases,' or manipulating DNA to eradicate diseases, etc. Scaring people paralyzes us. Exciting people allow us to be open to new ideas.

My third wish is that instead of forgiving and forgetting, we strive to remember and create a better tomorrow. I am aware that I am a privileged, white, well-educated middle-class man living in a state where the government covers many disability-related expenses for people with developmental disabilities. Most people are not as lucky as I am. Unquestionably we need to know and be constantly reminded of the past travesties and those occurring today. My wish is that the reminders lead to how tomorrow can be better. We need more brainstorming, creativity, innovation, and hope.

I have great hopes for 2022. Let's have fun and Go-Go-Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment