Tuesday, July 26, 2022

A Place to Ask, "Why?"

 [September 22, 2021 was my last Temple Sinai board meeting. A Place to Ask 'Why?' is my farewell note the Board's president read for me.] 

It's hard to believe that after almost 17 years, this will be my last Temple Sinai Board meeting as a Board member. In 2004, I joined as the representative of the Access Committee, and six years ago, I became a member at large. It still amazes me how quickly Covid changed the whole world, how rapidly climate change caused devastating hurricanes and fires, and how one man made the political differences obvious. 2004 seems like an entirely different world than the one we now live in.

 I've been on numerous not-for-profit boards and served on six founding boards. Computer Technologies Program (CTP) was the first school I co-founded in 1975, and Abilicorp – Personal Assistant Services(ABPAS) is the most recent agency I started in July of this year. I am proud that all these organizations still exist and are doing excellent and much-needed work.

 Being on Temple Sinai's Board has felt different than being on any other Board. As a member of Temple Sinai, I've grown to appreciate the importance of having a place to think about what is essential in life, listen to the wisdom of the clergy, and learn from the community. I regularly attend services not to pray but to learn about life. At Torah Study, it is exciting to listen to how people throughout the ages use the Torah to understand our world and develop morals.

 I credit Rabbi Mates-Muchin for helping me crystallize the idea that God is One means God is everyone and everything. The Rabbi often says, 'Pray as if everything depends on God and act as if everything depends on you.' For me, this means that all of us are responsible for what happens in the world; we are creating tomorrow, and because I am part of God, I must do my share.

 I began by listing some of the horrific events that are happening now. My greatest fear is that too many people do not have a community, a group of friends who understand and care about them, a place to create their tomorrow collectively, and a place to ask, "Why?". This Board and Temple Sinai have the vital and exciting task of changing that. We can encourage people to get to know their neighbors, friends, and community. Temple Sinai should be known as the place to feel welcomed, worthy, whole, and needed. Imagine being the place where people learn from the wisdom of their ancestors, hear our contemporaries' hopes and dreams, envision the world they want, and then work collaboratively to make it happen. We can end homelessness, poverty, and despair in the surrounding area. We can ensure that everyone in our community has the assistance they need to live life the way they want fully. Everything is possible, and there is always a way.

 I also began by expressing my surprise about how quickly the world changed. If the world can change so quickly for the worse, it should be able to change as fast for the better. Temple Sinai, its Board, and all of us have a vast, exciting, and important task to create tomorrow as it needs to be. While we won't be able to finish all the tasks, we must act swiftly and urgently.

 Thank you for the honor of serving on the Board. I look forward to seeing and actively participating in the many ways we will do Tikkun Olam. As always, Go-Go-Go!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment